The Newberry Library Renovation (First Floor and Basement)
The Newberry was founded on July 1, 1887 and the current building, designed by Henry Ives Cobb, was completed in 1893. The Bookstack tower, designed by Harry Weese and Associates was completed in 1982 to house environmentally secure collections. AVA Consultants was retained as the Owner’s Representative during the Design Development Phase of the project to establish budget, schedule and assure the clients objectives were accomplished. The project will expand Newberry’s community of learning into new parts of the library.
The renovation will result in restoration of the historic lobby and completely new spaces including a visitor information center, bookstore, a climate controlled seminar room where some of the collections can be utilized, meeting rooms, a permanent gallery, a new lift providing an accessible entrance from Walton Street, digital monument sign and sensitive exterior lighting to accent the beautiful architectural details of the entry.
Ann Beha Architects, Boston
Bulley & Andrews
Anne Voshel - Owner’s Representative